Master in Creative Computing
The rise of digital technology has directly impacted the creative economy. For that reason, the sector needs professionals with "createch" skills who can easily combine creative and technical competence in order to solve real-world problems. Our Master in Creative Computing aims to provide a general-purpose education in using new technologies for creative endeavors.
It reflects an ever-changing media landscape, where this year 's media might be discarded in the next year.
The main goal of this creative computing master, however, is not to teach specific skills, but to learn to identify opportunities for creativity in the technological space.
By completing the master, you can become a professional who proposes creative configurations for new and old platforms, reinvent careers in companies which need innovative products, find your artistic path, or even become autonomous, inventive, high-tech entrepreneur.
Are you ready?
- To learn how to incorporate both novel and existing technological resources into creative projects. The shifts in adoption of new technologies always create renewed opportunities for businesses and professionals.
- To understand how to identify these openings is crucial for survival in a scenario of constant mutation.
In order to achieve this type of familiarity, two strategies are adopted.
- On one hand the master builds on generic computational skills, familiarizing the students with practices such as coding and data manipulation.
- On the other hand, we will look into specific frameworks which are on the rise in today’s media horizon - artificial intelligence, immersive environments, IoT, blockchain applications and so on, looking at inspiring initiatives and understanding how to implement projects using one or, preferably, a combination of these platforms. Students will obtain basic skills like implementing and accessing IoT sensors, using AI models to understand data and generate content, distributing digital creations on the blockchain and more.
- Identify new opportunities for creative projects based on emerging technologies.
- Use AI tools in creative projects, both as a tool to process information and as a device that can produce automated, yet relevant, content.
- Code algorithms that generate artworks.
- Develop contraptions that make bridges to the physical world by using sensors, motors, controlling objects, sharing and accessing real-time environmental data from anywhere.
- Develop immersive narrative experiences based on virtual reality, 360 cinema, extended reality and more.
- Use data as a raw material for creative applications.
- Understand the social consequences, issues and limitations of technology.
- Explore the blockchain as a support for showing and financing artistic projects.
- Prototype projects that combine different technologies explored in the syllabus.
- Introduction to creative computing
- When computers got creative.
- Projection mapping, live cinema and new configurations for audiovisual experiences.
- Movement technologies: dance and performance, robotic and kinetic art.
- Art in science: physics and in the outer space.
- Biological and genetic arts.
- Designing Generative Experiences
- Algorithms and natural phenomena: simulations.
- Complexity through repetition: patterns.
- Temporal processes: time series, video, distortions.
- Review and final project: difference and repetition.
- Creative blockchain applications
- History of cryptoeconomics and blockchain space. Issues of concentration, decentralization, sustainability.
- Non-fungible: artistic and social experiments in the blockchain.
- How to mint and trade - some platforms for experimenting.
- Practical tokenization.
- Discussion of final projects.
- Data art
- Open tools for data visualization: Flourish, Datawrapper, SPSS.
- Data sources: scraping, OSINT, open servers.
- Open cartography: mapbox, cartodb, mapshaper, GIS, GPS data.
- Final projects discussion.
- Designing activated objects and environments
- Intro to Microcontrollers, Input Output.
- Activating Objects.
- Intro to Design Fiction.
- Making things talk (remote interaction).
- Creative Coding.
- Designing with AI
- How does AI work? Introducing neural networks and machine learning models.
- Open models for image generation and manipulation
- Open models for music and text production.
- Final projects.
- Creating immersive narratives
- Extended reality
- Virtual reality
- 360 cinema
- Volumetric cinema
- Internet equalities and decolonizing technologies
- Bias and discrimination in data
- Internet inequalities
- Threats to an open internet
- Web3: decentralized internet beyond the blockchain
- Final Project
*The program includes an annual license to the Adobe Suite package.
Our Master in Creative Computing doesn't have one specific target audience in specific but it is mostly directed to students and professionals that want to improve their skills and learn the new paths that this subject is taking nowadays.
- Creative people from all fields - editors, artists, playwrights, dancers, musicians, advertisers, designers - who wish to incorporate technology into their practice.
- Technical people from any field - developers, engineers, chemists, physicists - who want to understand and apply the potential for art and creativity in their own practice.
- People wishing to change careers into fields that will benefit from the blend of art and technology
Upon completion of the master's degree you will be prepared to work as:
- Creation of contemporary art projects based on generative systems
- Direction of scenographic design projects
- Exhibition design project management
- Design and creation of interactive devices
- Audiovisual content design on and off screen
- Generative graphic design sound design
- Computational Design Consulting
From SHIFTA, we offer you the following forms of financing so that the economic aspect is not an impediment.
- Own financing
We offer you the possibility of financing the master’s or postgraduate course in up to 10 monthly installments at no financial cost (0% TAE).
- External financing
If you want a larger number of installments, we have an agreement with Nemuru, the external financing platform, which allows you to extend the installments up to 24 months. (Option subject to the approval of the financial institution itself after studying the relevant documentation). You will be able to access them once your admission to the program has been notified.
- Public subsidies
You can finance your training thanks to the bonuses offered by the State Foundation for Employment Training (FUNDAE) and the Tripartite Foundation to companies to train their workers. In this case, we have the support of an external consultancy specialized in this process.
In addition to the specific modules of the Master, you will also be able to access two training workshops on tools and methodologies related to the world of creation and design.
In the following link you access the list of all the training workshops you can take during the master’s degree. You can choose up to two at no cost.
The Online Master in Creative Computing has 25 available slots. It is a decision to preserve the quality of the program and so that you have the necessary accompaniment during learning. If you want to be one of the 25 Shifters, these are the requirements:
- University degree in some creative or computing discipline. It is also possible to access with degrees from other relevant careers, for example, engineering, design, or Bussiness.
- In case of not having a university degree, it is possible to access based on the professional experience that can be accredited (in this case they will not be able to receive the Master's degree, but rather a university specialization degree).
- The master's degree is taught fully in English.
- Motivation letter explaining why you want to study this master program, and why in SHIFTA.
- Being an efficient, planned person with autonomous learning capacity.
- You will need a computer and a good internet connection.
- As a benefit, by enrolling in the master's degree, you will become part of the Elisava Bold alumni community during the academic year in which you are studying the SHIFTA master's degree.
If you have any doubts or need to request more information about our Master in Creative Computing, contact us without hesitation. We’ll be very pleased to supply your request.